[Haskell] installing streams library

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat May 20 06:53:30 EDT 2006

On 2006-05-20 at 12:00+0200 "Sebastian Sylvan" wrote:
> A quick sales pitch: usually you, the library user, can just type:
>
> ./runhaskell Setup.hs configure
> ./runhaskell Setup.hs build
> ./runhaskell Setup.hs install
>
> And it will Do The Right Thing(TM), which is nice.

This is something I've never understood about the current
fashion. Make allows one to set up rules about what depends
on what, so why can't we just arrange it so that someone who
wants to install the thing just hast to type

./runhaskell Setup.hs install

?  I'm aware that part of this process might require root
privileges, and that it would be bad to do the rest of it as
root, but there are ways around that, surely? Even if not,
the first line ought to be unnecessary, since configure
produces something that build depends upon.

 Jón

Jón Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk