[Haskell] Network advice needed

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Fri Mar 31 11:41:44 EST 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:38:22 +0200, you wrote:

>Now it shall be possible to use it from any computer within the company net.
>(They use Windows and any kind of scripting or ActiveX is okay when needed.)
>Because response time is an issue I think a client/server solution is not
>feasible.
>
>What I need to know now is if it is possible to pull the application from a
>server and run it locally.

Is the Haskell code in a DLL? If the main EXE and the DLL (or DLLs) can
all reside in the same directory on the server, you don't have to do
anything special. You just run the application from the client machine
as if it were local, specifying the full network path to the executable;
e.g.:

 \\theserver\theshareddirectory\mygreatapp.exe

If there are updateable configuration files or other such things that
need to be maintained on a per-user basis, then you have to be a little
more careful to make sure that they're saved on the client machines
instead of at the server; if you use the system registry for that, then
it pretty much automatically takes care of those details, too.

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp
http://www.fenestra.com/