[Haskell] NEW: hpodder
jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Jun 29 22:40:52 EDT 2006
I'm pleased to announce the first release of hpodder. hpodder is a
podcast downloader (podcatcher) written in pure Haskell. I wrote it
because I was unsatisfied with the other podcatchers for Linux.
I am using hpodder for my own purposes already.
hpodder homepage: http://quux.org/devel/hpodder
darcs repo: http://darcs.complete.org/hpoder
· Convenient, easy to learn, and fast command-line interface (it's sim-
ple to do simple things, and advanced things are possible)
· Automatic discovery of feed metadata such as title
· Full history database for accurate prevention of duplicate downloads
and tracking of new episodes
· Conversion tools to convert your existing feed list and history from
other applications to hpodder. Supported applications and formats
include: castpodder and ipodder.
· Most operations can work fully automatically across your entire pod-
cast database, or they can work manually as well.
· Automatic updating of ID3 (v1 and v2) tags based on metadata in the
podcast itself. This important feature is available through iTunes
but is often missed by other podcatchers.
· hpodder operations can be easily scripted or scheduled using regular
operating system tools.
· Fully customizable naming scheme for downloaded episodes, including a
name collision detection and workaround algorithm.
· Automatic support for appending .mp3 extensions to MP3 files that
· Numerous database and history inquiry tools
· Small, minimalist footprint
· Power users and developers can interact directly with the embedded
Sqlite3 database used by hpodder. The database has a simple schema
that is developer-friendly.
· Support for resuming interrupted downloads of podcasts
· hpodder is SAFE and is designed with data integrity in mind from the
beginning. It should be exceedingly difficult to lose a podcast
episode, even in the event of a power failure.
More information about the Haskell