[Haskell] Re: haskell.org Public Domain

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Thu Jan 12 11:15:13 EST 2006

Am Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2006 14:41 schrieb Malcolm Wallace:
> [...]

> However, it also needs a disclaimer of warranty, and (as others have
> noted) a note about explicitly quoted material which may have other
> copyrights and licences.  How about:
>
>   "I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without
>    any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law,
>    or explicitly claimed in the work for some clearly identifiable
>    portion of the work.  No warranty of accuracy or fitness-for-purpose
>    is implied for this work."
>
> If there is a need for further explanation of the phrase "unless such
> conditions are required by law", then it could be linked to text such as:
>
>    For example, laws may prevent you from using this work to defame,
>    libel, or slander any person.  If the work quotes material from
>    other sources and explicitly identifies a copyright or licence for
>    that material, you must respect those conditions.

Does this mean that you have to adhere to the licenses of cited material?
What if you have just a short citation.  In Germany, for example, you have
"the right to cite" so that you don't have to accept any licenses for small
portions of copyrighted work.  (I suppose that this is similar in other
countries.)

Longer parts of other work should better not included but linked to, shouldn't
it?

> Regards,
>     Malcolm

Best wishes,