[Haskell] Re: haskell.org Public Domain

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 08:41:00 EST 2006

Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> writes:

> "I, the creator of this work, hereby release it into the public domain.
> This applies worldwide.
>
> "In case this is not legally possible:
>
> "I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any
> conditions, unless such conditions are required by law."

That seems very strange.  It is actually *two* licences, and it raises
an explicit doubt about which one applies in any given jurisdiction.

It would be much clearer just to omit the first "public domain"
part completely, and use the second licence only.

However, it also needs a disclaimer of warranty, and (as others have
noted) a note about explicitly quoted material which may have other
copyrights and licences.  How about:

  "I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without
   any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law,
   or explicitly claimed in the work for some clearly identifiable
   portion of the work.  No warranty of accuracy or fitness-for-purpose
   is implied for this work."

If there is a need for further explanation of the phrase "unless such
conditions are required by law", then it could be linked to text such as:

   For example, laws may prevent you from using this work to defame,
   libel, or slander any person.  If the work quotes material from
   other sources and explicitly identifies a copyright or licence for
   that material, you must respect those conditions.

Regards,
    Malcolm