[Haskell] New look for haskell.org: MediaWiki

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 9 07:30:57 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 21:12 -0500, John Peterson wrote:
> >> wiki is under the GNU FDL so the licenses are not necessarily
> >> compatible.
>
> >As far as I understand, this means that if I see a sample of code on
> >the haskell wiki, and just want to "steal" it for my project, I'm not
> >allowed to, unless I also release my code under the GNU FDL?
>
> This is something worth debating.  Certainly you can ask the author of
> the code for permission to use it but this is an extra burden.  Would
> be nice to have a special wiki construct to mark content as posessing
> an "extra" license.  The whole license debate should take place as
> soon as possible before we get a lot of content in there.  I'm not
> wedded to the FDL.

I get the impression that media wiki has some support for marking things
with Creative Commons licenses (and perhaps others) os maybe that'd help
(you often see this for images on Wikipedia). If people were posting
snippets from a GPL program then they could be marked as such.

This is somewhat different from what the default should be for small
snippets.

Duncan