[Haskell] Streams: the extensible I/O library

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Mon Feb 6 11:38:06 EST 2006

Hello

I have developed a new I/O library that IMHO is so sharp that it can
eventually replace the current I/O facilities based on using Handles.
The main advantage of the new library is its strong modular design
using typeclasses. The library consists of small independent modules,
each implementing one type of stream (file, memory buffer, pipe) or
one part of common stream functionality (buffering, Char encoding,
locking). 3rd-party libs can easily add new stream types and new
common functionality. Other benefits of the new library include
support for streams functioning in any monad, Hugs and GHC
compatibility, high speed and an easy migration path from the existing
I/O library.

You can find further information about the library at the page
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/Streams and download it as
http://freearc.narod.ru/Streams.tar.gz

I thank Jean Philippe Bernardy, Jared Updike and Henk Jan Van Tuyl,
who are corrected library documentation

ps: the library also includes two more layers - binary I/O and
serialization - on top of Streams. now i'm hardly working on
documenting these modules

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                          mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com