[Haskell] FRP and Yampa

Antony Courtney antony.courtney at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 17:26:13 EST 2006

Hi Brett,

To the best of my knowledge the interface and implementation of Fran
and FRP were not organized around monads.  There was briefly an
experimental "New Fran" used by FranTk that used monads for
implementation.  That implementation had some fundamental issues with
referential transparency so was largely abandoned.

Nevertheless, Yampa does reflect a rather different approach to
embedding a dataflow DSL in Haskell than earlier Fran and FRP designs.
 I wrote an informal account of some of the issues with Fran and FRP
that motivated our move to an Arrows-based interface in Chapter 3 of
my thesis:
    http://www.apocalypse.org/~antony/work/pubs/ac-thesis.pdf

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,