[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Phooey -- a Functional UI library for Haske ll

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Wed Dec 13 12:53:20 EST 2006

Push vs pull, rather than imperative vs functional, as the crux of the
inversion issue makes a lot of sense to me.  And I see your point about
publish/subscribe removing the dependency inversion, while keeping a push
implementation and an imperative style.  I also see how pull can be done
easily in an imperative setting.  As for doing push in a functional
approach, do you mean under the hood, or somehow a visible push model?
Phooey does push under the hood, but hides it from the user.  I don't know
what a functional, visible push model would look like.

If I understand your final paragraph below, you're describing what I'm up to
with Phooey: specify connections (dependencies) in a simple, declarative
way, and have the notifications all set up correctly.

Thanks for your comments, Steve.  They're getting me closer to a clear
explanation, which will be helpful in the paper I'm writing.

Regards,  - Conal