[Haskell] AJAX applications in Haskell

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 09:15:09 EDT 2006

Hi,

Pasqualino 'Titto' Assini wrote:

===================

Assuming that the balance is positive, this naturally raises the question:
why not doing the same <generate Javascript/Ajax application code to
run in browser - DMG> with our favourite language?

This would require to:

- Retarget one of the existing Haskell compilers to generate JavaScript
(other possible targets would be Flash or higher level UI languages such as
OpenLaszlo that in turn compiles down to either Flash or JavaScript/HTML)

===================

Joel Björnson wrote:

===================

I am currently working on a Google Summer of Code project relating to some
of this...
The project is more or less bound to Haskell Server Pages (
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~d00nibro/hsp/),
enabling JavaScript code generation. The main difference compared to the
Google Web Toolkit approach
is that there are no special compiler magic added for compiling directly
into JavaScript.

===================

Looks like the idea is picked up by more and more people ;) I saw some
notes on this (generation of Javascript from Haskell source) in Jared
Updike's blog, and I got this idea myself independently from Jared in
about the same time.

I am trying to add some code to nhc98 (contrary to GHC its code is
much smaller and better observable) to generate Javascript at the same
time when STG tree is converted into bytecodes*. I am in the very
beginning though, so I cannot show any results.

OTOH I do not feel like I have a lot of time to dedicate to this, so
if someone else is working on this, could we team up (possibly for a
different (if shown better) approach because one I chose is still
questionable optimization-wise, but generation of Javascript from
bytecodes does not seem better to me at the time)?

* Work in progress may be observed at

http://www.golubovsky.org/repos/nhc98/

in particular in
http://www.golubovsky.org/repos/nhc98/src/compiler98/STGJcode.hs

but at the moment there is virtually nothing done.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web