[Haskell] Re: [Haskell-cafe] ANN: TextRegexLazy-0.56, (=~) and (=~~) are here

Chris Kuklewicz haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Wed Aug 2 19:16:28 EDT 2006

Brian Hulley wrote:
> Chris Kuklewicz wrote:
>> Announcing: TextRegexLazy version 0.56
>> Where: Tarball from http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazy-regex
>>        darcs get --partial http://evenmere.org/~chrisk/trl/stable/
>> License : BSD, except for
>
> Great! - Thanks for all your hard work in making this available to
> everyone!
>
>> DFAEngine.hs which is LGPL (derived from CTK light)
>
> I sense some possible problems coming...

I wrote that ominous line, so I would have to agree.

> [in another post]
>> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

>>> your feature list is really strong! it will be great now to make it
>>> a part of GHC standard distribution
>
> Does the LGPL license for DFAEngine.hs use the static linking exception
> or not?
>   [... snip ...]

I am fine because I have only released my derivative modules as source.

If we want to include it in GHC, then the simplest thing to do is ask the
original author, Manuel M T Chakravarty, to allow us to re-license this derived
work as BSD3 compatible. ( http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/ctk/ )  It is only
derived from part of the Lexer of CTKLight, and has been streamlined to be less
flexible than it used to be in order to be more suitable as a regex engine.  And
if he does not want use to use it in GHC, then we live with 3 engines instead of 4.

> On a more positive note, I note that the European Parliament voted (last
> year iirc) that software patents are just a lot of rubbish and are null
> and void in Europe so at least that's one tender bud of common sense
> that's managed to burst through the asphalt.
>
> Regards, Brian.

Yes, the European Parliament finally beat back the corrupt bureaucrats that were
trying to change the patent rules.  But the forces of plutocracy will never give
up; it will be the same fight every year or two.

--
Chris