[Haskell] Haskell Weekly News: April 03, 2006

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Apr 2 22:47:28 EDT 2006

                      Haskell Weekly News: April 03, 2006

   Greetings, and thanks for reading issue 31 of HWN, a weekly newsletter
   covering developments in the Haskell community. Each Monday, new
   editions are posted to [1]the Haskell mailing list and to [2]The
   Haskell Sequence. [3]RSS is also available. Headlines also go to
   [4]haskell.org.

   2. http://sequence.complete.org/
   3. http://sequence.complete.org/node/feed
   4. http://haskell.org/

Haskell'

   This section covers activity on [5]Haskell' standardisation process.
     * FFI, 'safe' and 'unsafe', parts [6]1 and [7]2
     * [8]newtype deriving
     * [9]Standardise deepSeq
     * [10]MVar semantics
     * [11]Thread priorities
     * Concurrency, parts [12]1, [13]2 and [14]3.
     * [15]FD improvement, variable quantification & generalised
       propagation

   5. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime
   6. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1089
   7. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1178
   8. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1145
   9. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1151
  10. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1152
  11. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1155
  12. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1174
  13. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1179
  14. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1183
  15. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.prime/1193

Discussion

     * Mobile Haskell. Dmitri O.Kondratiev [16]asked about running
       Haskell on a PowerPC Windows Mobile device. John Meacham
       [17]responded with some interesting notes regarding Haskell on the
       Nokia 770.

  16. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/12165
  17. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/12173

     * GHCi as a debugger. Lemmih [18]wrote on "whether it would be
       possible to call GHCi from interpreted byte-code. It turned out
       that it was, and it was even fairly easy". Great stuff!

  18. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cvs.ghc/14166

     * Clearer reflection. Krasimir Angelov [19]proposed some ideas for a
       better Reflection API for Haskell. Currently we have Typeable and
       Data classes which provide some pieces of information about the
       data types at runtime. typeOf provides runtime information about
       the type of a given variable. dataTypeOf provides almost the same
       information but with some extras. There is some overlap between
       the TypeRep and DataType types. Some pieces of information you can
       get from the TypeRep, other from the DataType and some other from
       both of them. There is also an information which is inaccessible
       from either TypeRep and DataType.

  19. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.libraries/4500

Quotes of the Week

Seen on #haskell:
    Lemmih:: calling an out-of-scope function isn't as easy as I had hoped

    TuringTest:: They got it work in Haskell without understanding Haskell.
        It is quite an achievement, of some description.

    tennin:: [very #haskell] anyone know of any good books/papers on the
        application of category theory to databases?

    Smokey`:: I can't believe it, Haskell is starting to draw me away from
        C++... I swore i'd never turn from C++

Contributing to HWN

   You can help us create new editions of this newsletter. Please see the
   [20]contributing information, send stories to dons -at-
   cse.unsw.edu.au. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/hwn

  20. http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/HWN