[Haskell] Literal for Infinity

Jacques Carette carette at mcmaster.ca
Thu Sep 29 08:13:27 EDT 2005

The IEEE 754 standard says (fairly clearly) that +1.0 / +0.0 is one of
the most 'stable'  definitions  of Infinity (in  Float at least).
Throwing an exception is also regarded as a possibility in IEEE 754, but
it is expected that that is not the default, as experience shows that
that is a sub-optimal default.  Mathematical software (Maple,
Mathematica, Matlab) have generally moved in that direction.

Almost all hardware implementations of float arithmetic now default to
IEEE 754 arithmetic.  Having the arithmetic do 'something else' involves
more CPU cycles, so users should generally complain if their system's
arithmetic differs from IEEE 754 arithmetic without some deep reason to
do so [there are some; read and understand William Kahan's papers for
these].

Jacques