[Haskell] Mixing monadic and non-monadic functions

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 9 07:54:58 EDT 2005

Keean Schupke wrote:

> [...]
Just noticed the 1+[1,2] case...  I am not certain whether this is
possible - it is outside the
scope of the formal definiton of Haskell and may rely on implementation
details of the compiler/interpreter.

Effectivly we need to redefine list as a class, then (Num a) can be made
an instance of the class... See my implementation of Joy in the HList
library. (this lifts numbers into an AST rather than a list) - this
however uses type level programming and has problems with non static
types (IE you need to use existentials for lists who's values is not
known at compile time)...

The easy answer is to define a type that contains both singletons and
lists... although the type constructors may not look as neat.

    Regards,
    Keean.