[Haskell] mailing list headaches

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Thu Sep 8 03:29:19 EDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 08:39:29AM +0200, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 12:46:42PM -0700, Frederik Eaton wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi!
>
> > After some weeks of squinting, I've ended up settling with the
> > following partial solution in my configuration files (I use Mutt):
> >
> > set strict_threads=yes
> > folder-hook folders/haskell set strict_threads=no
> > folder-hook folders/libraries set strict_threads=no
> > folder-hook folders/glasgow-haskell set strict_threads=no
> > folder-hook folders/glasgow-haskell-bugs set strict_threads=no
>
> Nice, thanks! BTW, could you also share the configuration you use to
> split e-mails into folders? Do you use procmail for this?

Ooh, no, I don't use procmail. I don't like procmail at all. I wrote
my own set of scripts in perl. I run 'w3m' with a local cgi script
which shows all the folders along with their new/total counts, and
when I select one of the links it opens mutt with that folder. Then I
defined mutt macros to do things like respool messages (if I change
the filter script) or move them to other folders.

I don't expect that this hackery will be very useful to you, but I've
posted it here so you can see:

http://ofb.net/~frederik/mailproc.tar.gz

One thing it has is perl code to automatically recognize mailing list
messages and put them into appropriately-named folders. Apparently I'm
subscribed to over 100 mailing lists.

I'd wanted to do something more elegant, something like John Meacham's
Ginsu but backed by an SQL database, but never got around to it.

Frederik

--
http://ofb.net/~frederik/