[Haskell] Newbie quick questions

Jon Fairbairn Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 06:31:11 EDT 2005

On 2005-10-04 at 00:01EDT Mike Crowe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I ran across Haskell at the Great Win32 Computer Language Shootout.  A
> friend approached me with a potential large application to develop.  The
> idea of a language which can reduce time to design and make better code
> is very intriguing.

> 1) Can I develop a Windows application to sell?  Or is Haskell not
> really geared for that?

I don't see any reason why not, though the GUI aspect of
Haskell is as well developed as some other aspects of the
language.

> 2) Say a team wants to develop a larger application, like a CRM system.
> In "thinking" in functional programming, can a team split up work and
> implementation and work together?  In other words, how easily does
> Haskell adapt to a team approach?

At least as well as any other language.

> 3) Again, using a CRM tool as an example, what is the advantage to
> developing an application like this in Haskell vs. any other language?
> If I really invest the time, can I get this done quicker in Haskell?
> Sell me on this, please.

Whether you can get it done quicker depends on how long it
takes you to "get" functional programming. It's very easy to
understand Haskell just well enough to write C programmes in
it. It takes a significantly greater effort -- and time --
to get into the appropriate state of mind to write real
Haskell programmes.

> 3) I'm a very top-down programmer.  I like to start at the "big-picture"
> and work my way down in implementation.  Does this adapt to Haskell, or
> am I missing the point?

Haskell is very good for this.

Jón Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk