[Haskell] [ANNOUNCE] yhc - York Haskell Compiler

David Frech nimblemachines at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:34:43 EST 2005

On 11/13/05, Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang at jeltsch.net> wrote:
> Am Samstag, 12. November 2005 00:09 schrieb David Frech:
> > [...]
>
> > I'd like to build a web-publishing framework in Haskell that is
> > totally self-contained, very portable, and easy to bootstrap ... and
> > nhc98 or Yhc might be a nice place to start.
>
> Can you tell me/us more about this web-publishing framework?

At the moment, no. ;-) But only because I'm not sure what I want yet.
I've been looking around for a way to do personal publishing (which
basically for me means running an integrated wiki & blog), but I don't
want to be limited to that.

I want something small and simple, so most "web frameworks" are out of
the question. (I also toyed with using DocBook XML but it seemed a bit
heavy for my intended use.) I don't want to use templating, because I
think it's wrong. I'd like to use Haskell because I'm new to it and
want to use it for something "real world".

I've also been influenced by Jon Udell's ideas - esp by his O'Reilly
book _Practical Internet Groupware_ (sadly now out of print). One of
his ideas is to put a small, embedded web server on everyone's
desktop. All kinds of small peer-to-peer applications then become
possible. So that means that my little run-anywhere bundle should
include a small & simple web server.

For higher-intensity applications I'm warming to FastCGI, since it's
agnostic to web server choice (unlike using mod_perl or mod_python).
So I'd like that too. ;-)

And, unlike many wiki or blog engines I've tried, I want my tools to
generate valid XHTML. I'm not willing to compromise on this.

Cheers,

- David

> > [...]
>
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

There's more than one way to do it: the Perl way, and the _right_ way.