[Haskell] Making Haskell more open

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 16:21:56 EST 2005

> > > The font size is much smaller than the font size of other webpages.  So
> > > if I would change the default font size to give good results with the
> > > Haskell website, all other websites would have their text in very large
> > > letters.
> >
> > Try the
> > Edit -> Preferences -> General -> Fonts & Colors... -> Minimum Font Size
> > setting.
>
> Which browser are you speaking about?  I use Konqueror.

Oops, sorry. That was for Firefox.

> Nevertheless, the tip with the *minimum* font size might be the solution.
> Thanks for that.
>
> But I wonder if someone really wants fonts as small as the ones on the Haskell
> website.  If not, it would probably be better to change the font sizes of the
> Haskell website instead of forcing all users to adapt their settings or am I
> missing something?

Hmm, turning off my font settings, it still looks mostly okay. The
font sizes aren't set in absolute terms in the CSS or HTML anywhere
that I can see. They're all set to percentages of the default browser
sizes. Perhaps the problem is that Konqueror is configured to make
text too small by default and it's not noticeable since many websites
set absolute sizes? Opening up konqueror on my machine, it seems to
have a default minimum size of 7pt and medium size of 10pt (In
Settings -> Configure Konqueror -> Fonts), which are both rather
small. Changing 7 and 10 to 10 and 12 respectively resulted in a more
readable size for me.

- Cale