[Haskell] Re: Beyond ASCII only editors for Haskell

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Sun May 22 16:35:23 EDT 2005

Mads Lindstrøm <mads_lindstroem at yahoo.dk> writes:

> But we do not have to leave out ASCII based editors - atleast to begin
> with. You can be showing functions like sqrt using real math symbol and at
> the same time store your documents as ordinary Haskell sources, which can be
> read by any editor. This would of cause require the editor to have a faily
> big understanding of the Haskell language. And it can only go so far, some
> math stuff will require richer formats that cannot be translated nicely to
> ordinary Haskell sources.

This has been done, Luke Gorrie wrote pretty-lambda.el:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PrettyLambda

Jorge Adriano did something similar for Haskell with x-symbol:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2002-August/003237.html

Pugs is doing this directly:
http://use.perl.org/~autrijus/journal/24762

For more exciting possibilities, the plan for the Yi editor is to have
parser-based modes. That would allow you to do much more than what's mentioned
above.
--
It seems I've been living two lives. One life is a self-employed web developer
In the other life, I'm shapr, functional programmer.  | www.ScannedInAvian.com