[Haskell] ANN: SearchPath 0.5 and Request for https module URLs

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Mon May 16 20:18:45 EDT 2005

At Simon Marlow's suggestion, I have implemented Internet import
chasing.

You wrap your compiler/interpreter call with "searchpath", pass the
correct parameters and it will find all your module imports, if they
are not local, it will look them up in Internet module directories you
specify, retrieve the relevant modules, put them on your path and then
run your compiler/interpeter with the appropriate commandline
options. e.g.

  searchpath ghc MyModule.hs OtherModule -isomeDir --internet localModules.map -iotherdir --internet https://hackage.org/modules.map -iotherDir2 -cache cache

will result in the download of all the modules it can find each directory and execute:

  ghc MyModule.hs OtherModule -isomeDir --icache/internet1 -iotherdir -icache/internet2 -iotherDir2

Mapfiles have the form:

   #comment
   HAppS  http://happs.org #comment
   *.*.HaXml.*  http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/darcs/HaXml/src #another comment

Simon, I am now handling import chasing, Haskell extensions, literate
haskell, latex haskell, and HTTPS URLs (via curl).

It works with the ghc command line, except that it doesn't handle
multiple directories passed on the same -i.  (Can someone tell me what
the official path separator is for ghc -i?).

It doesn't yet work with other compilers/interpreters, but should be
easy to adapt.

It does not handle package files right now.

Request: This will work better as people expose their modules via
http(s).  If your modules are visible this way, please email me a
baseURL.

Location: http://happs.org/SearchPath.hs

-Alex-