[Haskell] Re: Haddock Problem

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 15 15:24:59 EDT 2005

>On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 18:51 +0100, Dominic Steinitz wrote:
>>/ > Dominic Steinitz writes:
>/>/ >
>/>/ I've downloaded
>/>/ http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/base.haddock and I
>/>/ still get the same errors. Is this incompatible with Haddock version 0.6?
>/
>Probably so because the current ghc library documentation is generated
>with Haddock 0.7 (which is the current cvs version of Haddock). We're
>hoping it will be released officially in the not to distant future
>(though if you like you can use the cvs version now as it's perfectly
>usable).
>
>The .haddock files are in a binary format and so are almost certainly
>not compatible between versions (like ghc .hi files).
>
>It would be nice if haddock gave some sort of error message in this case
>rather than ignoring the file.
>
>Duncan

I think that's the answer. I just tried it on my windows machine and I
got the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\Dom\Codec>haddock -v -h -o docs -i
http://haskell.org/
ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base,c:\ghc\ghc-6.4\doc\html\libraries\base\base.
haddock
haddock: Warning: The interface file
"c:\\ghc\\ghc-6.4\\doc\\html\\libraries\\ba
se\\base.haddock" could not be read.
Maybe it's from a later version of Haddock?

C:\Documents and Settings\Dom\Codec>haddock -v

C:\Documents and Settings\Dom\Codec>haddock -V
Haddock version 0.6, (c) Simon Marlow 2003

Why does the windows version give a warning when the linux one doesn't
when they both appear to be the same version?

And more importantly, can we have a version of haddock that is
compatible with the latest release of ghc?

I've tried building from source but run into problems. I'll post these
separately if I have time.

Yours, frustrated of Kingston.