[Haskell] HGetChar socket reading

Tobe tobe at playahs.de
Thu May 12 18:09:36 EDT 2005

hey guys !

IŽm pretty nu to haskell, and i got the following things to do:

code a client in python that sends string       ->done
code a server in haskell that recieves string   -> to do...

i initialized the server, set up a socket on port 9900,
so the socket is allready open...

First i read the string with hGetLine:

loop socket =
        do
                (handle, host, port) <- accept socket
                forkIO (client handle)

                loop socket

client handle = do
                query <- hGetLine handle

this worked pretty good.

Now my Tutor said, I should code this whole thing with hGetChar
instead of hGetLine...
I ainŽt got the clue of an clue how to manage this...
I worked something out like:

client handle = do
                  query <- hGetChar handle
                  if query = [] then return(0)
                  else
                  let list = list ++ query

I donŽt know where the string is stored in the handle,
and how to read it out...I mean, I canŽt use stuff like
query handle <- hGetChar(firstfrom:query handle)...

Please Help Me !!!