[Haskell] Cabal problems

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Mon May 9 18:53:35 EDT 2005

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I don't follow this
mailing list as closely as I follow libraries at haskell.org.  Cabal bugs
should be reported there or CC'd to me...

Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've run into a problem when trying to build a package with
> Cabal using a different GHC version than the one found in
> the $PATH. It looks like this:
>
>   $ runghc Setup.lhs configure --with-compiler=/opt/ghc/bin/ghc-6.2.2
>   Warning: No license-file field.
>   Configuring hsemail-0.0-2005-02-14...
>   configure: looking for package tool: ghc-pkg near compiler in /opt/ghc/bin/ghc-6.2.2
>   Cannot find package tool: /opt/ghc/bin/ghc-pkg.2
>
> Apparently there's some problem in the path manipulation
> code.

Definitely sounds like a bug.  I'll attack this ASAP.

> I also wonder why Cabal complains about a missing License
> field, because the file contains:
>
>   License: GPL

Is it complaining about the "license-file" field?  It would like you
to also provide a license file in order to be more legal.  The
"license" field is more for quick listing and automated tool uses, but
who knows if its legally binding.  Cabal warns you when you don't have
a license-file field.

> Last but not least, Cabal fails when the package description
> file contains comments after the value. The entry
>
>   Extensions: CPP          -- some comment

Yes, comments have to start at the beginning of the line, as the user
manual says.

Thanks for the bug report.

peace,

  isaac