[Haskell] translation of "kind"

Till Mossakowski till at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Mon Jun 20 06:10:05 EDT 2005

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Samstag, 18. Juni 2005 20:25 schrieben Sie:
>>>can anybody tell me what the German translation of the word "kind" as
>>>used in type theory and especially in Haskell is?
>>Wie wär's mit `Sorte', Ralf
>
> I have already thought about that but was not sure it was correct since the
> meaning of "Sorte" in algebra is very different from what is meant with
> "kind" in type theory.

This confusion is already present within the English language: the
theorem prover Isabelle uses the English term "sort" for what in Haskell
is called "kind", while in the context of universal algebra, "sort"
means what in Haskell is called (basic) "type". Hence "sort" and
"Sorte" perhaps should be avoided entirely.

--
Till Mossakowski               Phone +49-421-218-4683
Dept. of Computer Science      Fax +49-421-218-3054
University of Bremen           till at tzi.de
P.O.Box 330440, D-28334 Bremen http://www.tzi.de/~till