[Haskell] Re: Making Haskell more open

Cale Gibbard cgibbard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 22:44:39 EST 2005

On 28/12/05, Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:
> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> > for my taste, it is more beautiful (i say only about colors) and
> > convenient (i say about guest/suest login)
> >
> > but main point is what one wiki will be better because we can
> > crosslink and search all the material. most of articles about GHC
> > don't need links to bug reports and so on. on the other side, for me
> > personally it's also ok to have all the old Wiki pages migrated to this
> > new system, if someone (not me! :) can automatically perform it :)
>
> I agree that we should have one wiki. However, I dislike the lack of
> article/talk separation. Like other people have mentioned here, I'm
> never quite sure how to edit a page that's full of people's comments, so
> I tend not to contribute to hawiki much. I would contribute much more if
> the wiki had separate talk pages, especially if it used MediaWiki (which
> I happen to be most familiar with).
>
> For me, this is much more valuable than integration with bugs or source
> control.

Just as a point of help here, it's usually pretty obvious when people
are discussing something and when something is an article. I'll
usually not go too far in rewording something that someone else wrote
as a comment or question (except to correct spelling or grammar), but
rather simply reply to it. There is a stage where at some point you
might want to rewrite/refactor/digest the entire page along with
discussions, and that takes some time, but usually isn't too urgent
anyway, so don't bother if you don't have time.

If something looks like 'article' material, you should feel free to
edit however you like, but usually you should try not to outright
remove valid content. In any event, all the old versions are kept, so
it's no big deal if something goes missing for a while.

The Haskell wiki is a lot less formal than, say Wikipedia, and I like
that. It's a lot more like the original wiki. There's some restraint
in whether to edit a given passage, given the discussion-like nature
of many of the pages, but adding stuff always seems comfortable, which
is good.

 - Cale