[Haskell] WxHaskell

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 15 05:27:35 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 19:15 +0100, Morkai wrote:
> Martijn Schrage wrote:
>
> > If you're using Windows (which seems to be the case, looking at the
> > file paths in your posting), there's a third option:
> >
> > 3) Download the precompiled binary I built for Windows and GHC 6.4.1 from
> >
> > http://www.cs.uu.nl/research/projects/proxima/wxhaskell-bin-msw2.4.2-ghc6.4.1-0.9.4-0.zip
> >

> I've downgraded GHC to 6.4 but soon I will try your binary with a fresh
> install of GHC 6.4.1 ;)
> Another question: I've compiled the example 'TimeFlows.hs' but the
> executable is quite big (7Mb!!!). Even with strip (not found in GHC but,
> thankfully, in  /bin of DEV-C++ installation) the size is still 3 Mb.
> Maybe linking the exec to WX DLL (wxc-msw2.4.2-0.9.4.dll) could help but
> the user_guide isn't very clear (for me, of course ;) on the topic.

We had the same problem with Gtk2Hs on all platforms. This has now been
solved by making the Gtk2Hs build system use GHC's "split-objs" feature.
This makes it possible for the linker to be much better at only
including into the program the parts of the library that are actually
used.

Using this feature, the Gtk2Hs "hello world" program is only 30% larger
than the most trivial console "hello world" program (when compiled by
GHC) rather than several megabytes as before.

Duncan