[Haskell] cannot compile ghc on Debian unstable

Michael Vanier mvanier at cs.caltech.edu
Sun Aug 28 01:06:40 EDT 2005

Right now, the Debian unstable package for GHC 6.4 won't install due to
some conflict with libgmp3 (the package maintainer has been notified).  I
tried to compile the sources from scratch but found out that GHC requires a
previously-existing version of itself to compile.  I have hugs working
fine, but configuring using --enable-hc-boot --with-hc=/usr/bin/hugs
doesn't work (the configure completes but the compile fails very quickly).
Has anyone managed to get this working?  I'm actually somewhat surprised
that there isn't a bootstrap-from-gcc-only mode available like there is in
ocaml; what are the issues?

Thanks in advance,

Mike