[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: fps -- fast packed strings

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu Aug 25 08:38:14 EDT 2005

>>1) add psniceq/pscmp to export list (with better names, smtg like
>>eqPS/cmpPS)

is it possible to avoid module/type identifiers ("ps")
hardwired into the names? We have hierarchical namespaces for that
(PS.eq, PS.cmp  etc.) This has many advantages, e. g. you could then do
"import PackedString.Fast as PS" - otherwise the names were wrong
(they should be eqFPS etc.) Also, why the abbreviations ("cmp").

See discussion in ttp://c2.com/cgi/wiki?MeaningfulName
(and a lot of other places and books).
Sure, a lot of the problems that the (OO) refactoring hype
is trying to solve do not arise in the first place
if we do functional programming,
but quite some are independent of the paradigm
(e. g. those on naming) - so we should consider carefully
the problem indicators and solutions that have been suggested.

Just my opinion (not specific to the packed string library).
--
-- Johannes Waldmann -- Tel/Fax (0341) 3076 6479/80 --
---- http://www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~waldmann/ -------