[Haskell] Real life examples

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Nov 25 11:53:35 EST 2004

Thanks Adrian, for some reason I did not get the original reply to this
post.

This was my point, I may _want_ two copies of the library. Lets say I
want to
write a virtual machine emulator in haskell, and I then wish to use your
library to drive the virtualised hardware... There must be some way to
encapsulate the state requirement of the library such that the VM software
can manage multiple states. At the momemt (with the handle approach)
this is entirely possible:

    a <- initLibrary
    b <- initLibrary

With you suggestion this VM cannot be written in Haskell any more. This is
the point that I object to (and have been trying to explain badly).

Perhaps the following extension would fix things:

    main = do
       a <- import Library -- a would be a record containing top level
of library
       b <- import Library

Keean.