Top Level TWI's again was Re: [Haskell] Re: Parameterized Show

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Nov 24 06:50:17 EST 2004

There is no problem getting multiple copies of the channels... I take it
you are not familiar with the internals of OSs (I have written a small
OS myself, complete with real device drivers)... The OS is started at
boot, it initialises its own state, then it forks the device drivers, then
it forks user processes (simplified but adequate).

Lets design a small Haskell OS, the OS has the handles for the device
driver.
The program MUST be passed the channels to the OS (there is no other way)...
These channels allow other channels to be opened, they would be like the
master device.

    main :: Chan CMD -> Chan RSP -> IO ()
    main cmd rsp = do
       writeChan cmd (OpenDevice "devname")
       h <- readChan rsp
       case h of
          (OpenOK in out) -> do
                writeCan out  (DeviceWriteString "hello")
                status <- readChan in
          _ -> error "could not open device"

Here you can see that we could try and open the device again, however the
OS would either multiplex or serialize the device depending on type.

    Keean.