[Haskell] About Random Integer without IO

Georg Martius mai99dgf at studserv.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Nov 11 10:22:53 EST 2004

Hi,

you need to reallise that Haskell is a pure language. That means a function has the same result if you call it with the same arguments (deterministic). A function that produces random numbers are not of such kind in the first place.
However, what you need to do is to pass the random number generator though the function:
See e.g. System.Random.random [1] which takes the generator and gives you a random value and the new generator back.

  Georg

[1] http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/System.Random.html

PS: this question is more appropriate for haskell-cafe.

---- Georg Martius,  Tel: (+49 34297) 89434 ----
------- http://www.flexman.homeip.net ---------