[wxhaskell-users] Re: [Haskell] Announce: wxHaskell 0.6

Matthew Walton matthew at alledora.co.uk
Wed Mar 3 13:20:33 EST 2004

Gour wrote:

> Matthew Walton (matthew at alledora.co.uk) wrote:
>

>>Plenty of ebuilds seem to work from multiple source packages... I can't
>>see a particular difficulty in writing one that installs wxHaskell
>>source and documentation simultaneously.
>

> Thank you for pointing this out. I never came across one.

You probably did, XFree86 uses several tarballs, although admittedly it
does expand them all into the same place before building. There is
though, as far as I can see, nothing to stop you making your own
subdirectories of the build directory and extracting a tarball into each
of those, then building and installing each of them as necessary.

> I was playing during the 0.30.4 but could not solve sandbox problem since
> wxhaskell writes into /usr/lib.
>
> Of course, I did it with addwrite /usr/lib and some sed trickery (could not
> find haddock-base), but wanted to have more clean solution by patching Makefile.

That would be preferable. An install target that supports DESTDIR is a
nice preferable solution for most projects. Not necessarily the easiest
to implement though, but it depends on the build system.

>>Although having said that, I can't get wxHaskell stuff to link properly
>>on my Gentoo box at the moment, probably because my OpenGL setup is
>>rather broken.
>

> Do you have some wxhaskell ebuild handy?

No, I installed it by hand. I can have a go at writing an ebuild
although if as you say wxHaskell writes into /usr/lib then a Makefile
patch is probably in order. As I mentioned though, my wxHaskell is
currently a bit broken so I'm going to have to sort that out first.
Although I suspect the broken bit might actually be wxWidgets.