[Haskell] Re: Weaving the Web with Haskell

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Thu Jan 29 10:22:45 EST 2004

At 19:23 28/01/04 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>Graham Klyne <gk at ninebynine.org> writes:
>
> > I have been trying to use the HXML toolbox, because I
> > understand it's the only XML parser for Haskell that
> > supports XML namespaces.  Unfortunately, it seems to be
> > rather dependent on older versions of GHC (unless I'm
> > missing something), which is making it more problematic to
> > adopt than I had hoped.
>
>I may misunderstand you, but I successfully compiled the
>HXML Toolbox 3.01 with GHC-6.2 on Linux.

You understood me well.

>It did need some
>tweaking, but nothing serious: if my memory serves me right
>the forkProcess function changed and the MD5 library was
>missing.

It's the "tweaking" that bogs me down... and in this case, it was the
missing MD5 library that was holding me up (though I have since found a
version of HTTP and compatible MD5 modules).  I don't have time to dig into
the inner workings of all the code I wish to use.  I hope my comments come
over as constructive rather than whingeing, but it seems that there are
some configuration management difficulties with interdependent library
code.  I hope the library infrastructure project will help here, by
providing a uniform structure into which modules can be slotted (and
version-managed).

>   I understand that you have a POpen replacement for
>Windows, so the rest should be easy...

Well, for some value of "easy" ;-)  I do now have a version of HXML Toolbox
3.01 that compiles the HUnitExample module using Hugs under Windows, and
passes most (all but about 10) of the test cases.

#g