[Haskell] Re: Weaving the Web with Haskell

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Thu Jan 29 10:22:45 EST 2004

At 19:23 28/01/04 +0100, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>Graham Klyne <gk at ninebynine.org> writes:
> > I have been trying to use the HXML toolbox, because I
> > understand it's the only XML parser for Haskell that
> > supports XML namespaces.  Unfortunately, it seems to be
> > rather dependent on older versions of GHC (unless I'm
> > missing something), which is making it more problematic to
> > adopt than I had hoped.
>I may misunderstand you, but I successfully compiled the
>HXML Toolbox 3.01 with GHC-6.2 on Linux.

You understood me well.

>It did need some
>tweaking, but nothing serious: if my memory serves me right
>the forkProcess function changed and the MD5 library was

It's the "tweaking" that bogs me down... and in this case, it was the
missing MD5 library that was holding me up (though I have since found a
version of HTTP and compatible MD5 modules).  I don't have time to dig into
the inner workings of all the code I wish to use.  I hope my comments come
over as constructive rather than whingeing, but it seems that there are
some configuration management difficulties with interdependent library
code.  I hope the library infrastructure project will help here, by
providing a uniform structure into which modules can be slotted (and

>   I understand that you have a POpen replacement for
>Windows, so the rest should be easy...

Well, for some value of "easy" ;-)  I do now have a version of HXML Toolbox
3.01 that compiles the HUnitExample module using Hugs under Windows, and
passes most (all but about 10) of the test cases.

Graham Klyne
For email: