[Haskell] Weaving the Web with Haskell

Michael Brian Orr mike at michael-brian-orr.net
Wed Jan 28 15:25:03 EST 2004

Hi, Graham. As a Haskell newbie and a lurker on this
list for about a month, I've e-watched your efforts with
a great deal of interest.

I came to Haskell for I believe exactly the same reason
you're describing - please correct me if I'm
misunderstanding - because I believe a robust, lazy,
pure FP language has potentially kick*ss properties as a
scripting language for Semantic Web applications based
on distributed metadata.

I'm nowhere near where you are with Haskell - even with
some rusty bits of Lisp and Prolog in my background, I'm
keeping plenty occupied just getting through the 'Gentle
Intro' in the slices of time I can steal from other
priorities. However, I'll continue to put what I can
into this because the goal is so compelling and
exciting.

So, consider this a thank-you for your efforts and a big
+1 for what you've expressed in terms of both the
potential and the challenges in front of Haskell as an
(especially Semantic) Web programming language.

All the best,
Michael Brian Orr

Graham Klyne
> Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 4:37 AM
> To: Haskell Mailing List
> Subject: [Haskell] Weaving the Web with Haskell
>
> For the past week or so, I've been wrestling with
various
> bits of Haskell
> libraries trying to get an XML parser running under
Windows.
> Each time I
> think I've resolved a problem, another pops up to take
its
> place.  So I
> felt it was a good time to stand back and review my
goals and
> approach.
>

> Background
>
> I believe that Haskell has a number of characteristics
that make it
> eminently suitable for prototyping and deploying a
range of web
> technologies.  My own interest is in the Semantic Web
area,