Compiling HXML toolbox under Hugs/Windows

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Thu Jan 22 12:56:48 EST 2004

At 14:46 21/01/04 +0100, Uwe Schmidt wrote:
> > So the requirement for inter-process communication here is to run an
> > external program and receive any data that it may return?
>
>exactly, the one and only reason

I'm looking through the GHC source distribution kit for the implementation
of the Posix stuff used by POpen, with a view to possibly using that as a
source of clues for implementing similar functionality (to POpen) under MS
Windows, but so far I'm struggling.

I have found an implementation of popen in the GHC dustribution, in
hslibs/posix (but not, apparently, in the hierachical library tree), which
appears to be functionally the same as that distributed with HXML Toolbox.

I see what appears to be a forkProcess primitive implemented in a file
ghc/rts/Schedule.c (but not for Windows, of course), but I don't see any
corresponding Haskell source file with a corresponding declaration.  I
cannot find *any* reference to fdClose (another function that is used by
popen).

I'm mainly looking for examples of interfacing from Haskell to low-level C
code on Windows.  Also useful would be sample Windows code that executes a
program and captures its stdout, etc., but I guess I'm more likely to find
that elsewhere.

Does anyone have any helpful pointers to offer?

#g