[Haskell] Re: Data.Set whishes

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Sun Feb 22 23:07:56 EST 2004

G'day all.

Quoting Koen Claessen <koen at cs.chalmers.se>:

> I think Chris Okasaki did a nice job and made a good data
> structure library proposal with Edison (years ago). It uses
> both the qualified names trick and type classes. Why nobody
> uses it (or even knows about it) is a mystery to me.

My personal take on why nobody uses it is that when you have a large
library of data structures, all of which support various interfaces,
the problem arises as to how you pick which one to use.

Without looking, what is the difference between a BraunSeq and a
BankersQueue?

I've also found it hard to merge data structures which are embedded
in a monad with data structures which are not.  Getting a consistent
interface there is hard.

If you can think of a solution to either or both of these problems...

> Hereby, I call for a revival of Edison! :-)

...give me your sourceforge ID and I'll add you as a developer. :-)

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage