[Haskell] non-ASCII characters in Haddock documentation

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Feb 17 12:56:58 EST 2004

At 10:35 17/02/04 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
>We didn't choose Latin-1 over UTF-8: the current situation just reflects
>the fact that we haven't implemented UTF-8 yet.  It's not trivial to
>expand GHC's current Alex specification to handle the whole Unicode
>character set.  See this message for some musings:
>
>http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2003-December/006
>094.html

Ah, yes.  It seems that there are two issues here:
(1) a way to use alternative character set encodings for Haskell source
programs.
(2) using an extended repertoire of characters outside comment bodies in a
Haskell source module.

My comments were directed toward (1).  I can see that (2) might be more
challenging, but maybe less important to address?

You mentioned the obvious place in which one might wish to include extended
characters in Haskell non-comment code, viz. in strings.  I'm not sure if
that would be a good thing to do, for reasons of source code
portability/exchangeability, at least until such time as text editors
routinely support a fuller character repertoire.  (I think that allowing
escape sequences and a native Char representation that supports Unicode is
basically a solved problem, is it not?)

#g