[Haskell] non-ASCII characters in Haddock documentation

Simon Marlow simonmar at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 17 10:35:27 EST 2004

> >It may seem so to western europeans, but others may differ.
> >A case could be made for UTF-8.
>
> I tend to agree.  Further, the choice of defaulting to
> Latin-1 seems a
> strange one when much of the rest of the world (well, the
> networking world)
> seems to be moving towards more universal character set
> encodings.

We didn't choose Latin-1 over UTF-8: the current situation just reflects
the fact that we haven't implemented UTF-8 yet.  It's not trivial to
expand GHC's current Alex specification to handle the whole Unicode
character set.  See this message for some musings:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2003-December/006
094.html

Cheers,
	Simon