Haskell for non-Haskell's sake

William Lee Irwin III wli@holomorphy.com
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 05:10:20 -0700

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 05:39:09PM -0700, Hal Daume III wrote:
> I'm attempting to get a sense of the topology of the Haskell
> community.  Based on the Haskell Communities & Activities reports, it
> seems that the large majority of people use Haskell for Haskell's sake.
> If you use Haskell for a purpose *other than* one of those listed below,
> I'd love to hear.  I don't need a long report, anything from a simple "I
> do" to a paragraph would be fine, and if you want to remain anonymous
> that's fine, too.
> Purposes which I consider "Haskell for Haskell's sake" include:
>   - writing Haskell compilers/interpreters
>   - developing libraries for Haskell
>   - writing Haskell debuggers, tracers, profilers or other tools
>   - more or less anything with matches /.*Haskell.*/, other than
>     /in Haskell$/   :)

I use Haskell interpreters as a "more expressive calculator", also
do basic scripting such as vast numbers regularly improvised log
processing scripts (usually for logs of debugging output and other
similar dumps), as well as some somewhat less frequently improvised
network "scripts" or script-like things (both clients and servers).
i.e. where others use perl and expect. Haskell's faster for me to write.

-- wli