"interact" behaves oddly if used interactively

Christian Maeder maeder at tzi.de
Wed Oct 1 14:01:55 EDT 2003

Malcolm Wallace wrote:
[...]
> Surely the name suggests that "interactive" behaviour is required, i.e.
> exactly some interleaving of input and output.  The chunk-size of the
> interleaving should depend only on the strictness of the argument to
> "interact".

I'm not happy that interleaving depends on the strictness. Lazy or
strict evaluation should only change the behaviour of overall
termination (lazy evaluation should terminate more often). I'ld rather
implement interleaving (or "interactive" behaviour) explicitely by:

interact f = do
   s <- getLine
   putStrLn (f s)
   interact f

(assuming line buffering) (Terminating with "ctrl-c")

Surely also something is needed for endless character resources as
Tom pointed out.

Christian