"interact" behaves oddly if used interactively

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 11:25:39 EDT 2003

Christian Maeder <maeder at tzi.de> writes:

> I guess "interact" does what it should, but I think it should be changed
> to avoid interleaved in- and output.

Surely the name suggests that "interactive" behaviour is required, i.e.
exactly some interleaving of input and output.  The chunk-size of the
interleaving should depend only on the strictness of the argument to
"interact".  Unfortunately, the visible behaviour can also currently
depend on buffering and echoing of the input (and possibly also
buffering of the output), which I feel is a mistake.

Regards,
    Malcolm