Preliminary Release: FastIO library

Hal Daume III hdaume@ISI.EDU
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 10:56:16 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I had intended to polish this a bit before releasing it, but there has
been some traffic on the mailing list recently about how do to binary IO
and this is part of the FastIO library I've been slowly putting
together.  It's not at all fancy and lacks docs at this point, but people
who are familiar with C might find it useful.

I originally wrote it because I find myself reading in files containing
ints and float a *lot* and going through haskell strings is ridiculously
slow.  However, it also supports fwrite/fread style binary files (which
are of course incompatable across different endiannesses).

There is a release with a README telling you how to build it at:

  http://www.isi.edu/~hdaume/haskell/FastIO.tar.gz

It should be pretty self-explanatory; there's even a small test program in
there which should make everything very clear.

Best,

 - Hal