A problem about hGetContents

Nick Name nick.name@inwind.it
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:34:30 +0100

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 17:19:52 +0000
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net> wrote:

>=20
>  Just omit the hClose; hGetContents will automatically close the
>  handle once all of the data has actually been read. See =A711.2.1 of
>  the library report for details.

Thanks for this pointer. Quoting from the report:

A semi-closed handle becomes closed:

    * if hClose is applied to it;
    * if an I/O error occurs when reading an item from the file item
      from the stream;
    * or once the entire contents of the file has been read.=20

What happens if one does NOT read the whole contents, but there are no
more references to the results of hGetContents? Is the file handle
closed anyway ? Here's an example of what I mean:

openFile n ReadMode >>=3D hGetContents >>=3D return . (take 10)

Vincenzo

--=20
then they fight you, then you win.
[Gandhi]