Tony Davie

Kevin Hammond kh@dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 17:57:53 +0000

Dear Haskell list member,

It is with regret that I must inform you of the death of Tony Davie,
who passed away on Wednesday, January 9th following a long-standing
battle with leukemia.  Many of you who came into contact with him will
have been impressed by his in-depth understanding of his subject,
by his interesting research talks, and by his sense of humour.

Tony wrote the first book on Haskell, "An Introduction to Functional
Programming Systems using Haskell", worked on functional persistent systems,
and designed the CASE abstract machine, as well as being a major contributor
to early SASL implementations here at St Andrews.  In many ways, he was
a true functional programming pioneer.

I am sure you will back my action in expressing the condolences of the
entire international community to Tony's family.

Kevin