Web Application Development

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz@blueyonder.co.uk
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 09:50:29 -0000

In a moment of weakness, I offered to help a friend develop a website. It's
a simple database application which carries out very little calculation and
then displays the results via HTML.

The original code was in PHP and MySQL so rather than re-invent the wheel I
have been modifying it. However, I am spending a lot of time tracking down
errors at run time which a type system would have caught. It's particularly
easy to write PHP code which generates SQL calls which look correct (by
looking in the MySQL log) but actually put garbage in the database.

So my question is: what should I do to re-write this in Haskell?

>From the discussion on this mailing list in June and reading through the
libraries section of haskell.org, I think there are the following options:

HTML

1. Use Wash/CGI but maybe somehow move to mod_haskell if the webserver
performance isn't adquate.

SQL

2. Use MySQL-HS which requires HaskellDirect or use HSQL.

I'd be very grateful for any advice and any progress as a result of the
discussion in June.

Dominic Steinitz