[Fwd: F#]

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri, 31 May 2002 21:05:47 +1000

"D. Tweed" <tweed@cs.bris.ac.uk> wrote,

> One of the thoughts behind this was the knowledge that it's just the two
> Simons' at Microsoft Cambridge now maintaining/developing GHC; _if it were
> possible_ (and I'll quite concede it may not be) to leverage work on .NET
> for other purposes (particularly if .NET actually fulfills one of its
> `promises' to be OS neutral) to decrease the amount of work to keep one of
> the two Haskell remaining compilers (GHC, NHC) viable and up-to-date.

As I see it, .NET is just generating more work.  I seriously
doubt that the efficiency of a .NETed Haskell would be
anywhere close to what GHC delivers today.  This is judging
from the various attempts to compile Haskell to JVM (sure
there are some differences between JVM and .NET, but I am
pretty sceptical that this will significantly close the
gap).

What we need is some seriously new technology.  See

  http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/project/poc/

for some ideas.

Cheers
Manuel