[Fwd: F#]

Manuel M. T. Chakravarty chak@cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:27:00 +1000

"Don Syme" <dsyme@microsoft.com> wrote,

> And getting top-notch performance is obviously always a huge challenge
> for Haskell, and you can't play some common implementation tricks when
> compiling to IL.  But the only truly serious complications added by .NET
> itself are (a) the general problem of Haskell interop with imperative
> libraries, requiring you to reach for monads quite often (or to wrap the
> libraries yourself)
[..]
> IMHO problem (a) will always be the thing that stops Haskell becoming
> very very big.  But then being non-imperative it's also its main selling
> point...

So, you are saying that Haskell's problem with .NET is that
it is not imperative, but at the same time you don't want to
resort to Haskell's imperative sublanguage (the IO monad).
I don't quite understand this.

Personally, I find[1] Haskell to be very pleasant for
imperative programming.  In fact, I agree with SPJ, who
wrote[2] (slightly provocatively), Haskell is the world's
finest imperative programming language.

Cheers,
Manuel

[1] After having written piles of low-level imperative code
    in Haskell.

[2] In ``Tackling the Awkward Squad''