layout rule infelicity

Han Tuong Hau hth@cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Thu, 30 May 2002 22:27:12 +1000 (EST)

Hi everyone,

I thought I would bring a students perspective into this discussion.
Moving from a C background to Haskell, the layout wasn't very intuitive at
first. This was mainly due to my hand's on approach (looking at examples
and trying to code similar programs). Given that if i read up on the
layout first I would have had less trouble. I did notice that the error
messages generated by incorrect layout don't offer much clue to the
origin of the layout error, well from a beginner's interpretation of the
error messages anyway.

Having said that, now that I have gotten used to the Haskell layout I
simply adore it. I often remember tiredly coding in C and relying on the
compiler to locate where i had left out a ';' at the end of a statement or
two. With Haskell there is no such need!

Tuong,
a happy haskell student..