layout rule infelicity

Ashley Yakeley ashley@semantic.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 02:46:39 -0700

At 2002-05-30 02:26, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

>I think this is extremely bad language design! In general I
>like having layout rules, but

What's the deal with the whole "layout" thing anyway? I've never come
across it before in another language. Is it an academic thing? It drove
me nuts when I first started Haskell, until I discovered you could use
semicolons/braces instead (which I always do).

If I were teaching Haskell to "working programmer" types like myself, I
would encourage them to always use full semicolons and braces and forget
layout entirely (except a lot of available Haskell source seems to use
it). Certainly I find {;} more readable, and I suspect anyone else with a
C/C++/Java background (or even a Scheme/Lisp background) does too.</RANT>

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA