Functional design patterns (was: How to get functional software engineering experience?)

Joost Visser Joost.Visser@cwi.nl
Thu, 16 May 2002 19:42:46 +0200

Ralf.Laemmel@cwi.nl wrote:
> Joost Visser and I, we worked out a few maybe not so obvious functional
> programming patterns such as Success By Failure, Role Play, Rewrite Step,
> Keyhole Operation just to mention a few. By not so obvious I mean that
> they deal with generic programming rather than functional programming in
> general.
>
>      http://www.cs.vu.nl/Strafunski/dp-sf/
>
> We use a certain FORMAT for design patterns, and there is some modest
> analysis why this format is appropriate. Also, there is some discussion
> why design patterns would do good for functional programming. This might
> be interesting in the further process of accumulating design patterns
> for functional programming.

I have added the design pattern description format to the Haskell wiki:

http://haskell.org/wiki/wiki?DesignPatternsForFunctionalStrategicProgramming

Perhaps it would be interesting to see if some of the
CommonHaskellIdioms described on this wiki can be cast into the proposed
design pattern format as well.

Joost

--
http://www.cwi.nl/~jvisser/